Monday, December 29, 2008

Disneyland... Made in Part by a U.S. Corporation Near You!

Yesterday I spent the day at Disneyland with my sister and I don't think we argued at all... It really is the happiest place on earth.

Every time I get to experience the magic of Disney, I find myself in a world only attainable by a trip to the Magic Kingdom. No matter how many times I've seen the spectacular fireworks over the Disney castle, I'm still overcome by amazement and awe everytime.

I love Disneyland.

Now, seeing how this is a blog about advertising, you're probably wondering what the heck my trip had to do with it. Well...

I'm starting to think that studying advertising is a conspiracy created by the AAAA (American Association of Advertising Agencies) to attract more college students to various products across the nation.

Kidding.

But in all honesty, it really amazes me how much more attention I pay to advertising things these days. Even on a day when I'm taken by the magic surrounding me, I can't help but notice that the Tiki room is brought to us by Dole and that even the fireworks spectacular, Believe, is brought to us by Honda (these being only two of the many I noticed).

My question for Disney is...
You've been around for over 50 years and you've created an amazing brand for yourself. Disney is a HUGE company - selling t-shirts, hats, dolls, DVDs, and salt-and-pepper shakers. Disney has it's own cable channel and is still creating box office hits. I can't even begin to imagine how much money their theme parks take in across the globe - Tokyo, France, California, Florida... billions, I'm sure.

So why the need for corporate sponsorship?

Maybe it's not a need at all. I have a feeling it's more like... a favor Disney gives to these people (or maybe even a trade off). Perhaps it's similar to Oprah's book club (strange comparison, I know). But think about it... She has these unheard of authors on her show, and BAM! they're a Los Angeles Times Best Seller. Sure, Dole and Honda aren't exactly unheard of (and obviously, their exposure at Disneyland is FAR from free of charge), but with Disney backing them, I'm sure it's a big push in their sales. Especially when you're waiting in line or standing around for hours... You can't help but be bombarded by all the advertisements that surround you.

Just a thought.

No comments: