Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Somebody's Watching Me...

This is Kash. He's the money you could be saving with Geico. He's peering deep into your soul as if he knows you want to save money.

Those are just a few lines from the new Geico commercials that I was able to pick off the top of my head. So it seems that the gecko got the boot and was replaced with this... a simple stack of money with plastic eyeballs. I love how the simplest of ideas can be such a hit. Ogilvy said it best, "K.I.S.S.... Keep it simple, stupid."

The first time I saw Kash, I started cracking up! I loved it. I have a bit of an attachment to that cute little gecko, and I hope he's not gone for good (I really wanted to see him in that little suit one of the executives tried to give him in one of his last commercials [that I've seen]), but it's nice to see some new ideas from The Martin Agency.

The character represents the average national savings consumers get from using Geico, about $500, said Mike Lear, associate creative director at The Martin Agency, an IPG shop in Richmond, Va. "Geico loves to talk about savings, that's their recurring theme," he said. "We just dumbed it down to the most basic thing in the world, 'I want more money.'"

No comments: